How To Check NAT Type On Pc?
Several gamers have been having problems lately with their network settings. Possessing a Strict or even Moderate NAT type is one of the most frequent problems. Because it hinders you from enjoying online games, it may be rather annoying. But there is a solution to this problem so that you may play your favorite games without any issues. We’ll talk about how to verify your NAT type on a computer today.
The games you can play will depend on the NAT type you have. Most of the time, the settings should be automated, but if something goes wrong, you may need to manually verify and adjust your NAT settings. These instructions will concentrate on using a Windows PC to check and configure your NAT type.
NAT: What is it?
Network address translation, or NAT, is the method that routers utilize to link computers on a local network to the internet. The NAT type used by the PS4 to connect to other online services and consoles lets other devices know how limiting your network or gateway is.
It effectively serves as a translator between the private IP addresses given to each connected device and the public IP address of your router.
How can I check Nat type on a computer?
On PC, you must manually do the procedures listed below to determine your NAT type.
- Launch the command window. You may accomplish this by typing CMD into your computer’s search bar.
- Enter “ipconfig” after typing it. You ought to see a list of many things, among them Default Gateway.
- Note the first line’s IPv4 Address and the four digits that make up your Default Gateway (e.g., 192.168.1.1). Leave out any commas and type the number from left to right (e.g., 192168101).
- Enter the number you just put down into the search box at the top of the webpage at http://www.whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup.
- Go Go! will take you to a page with details about your IP address, including the “ISP” tab, which shows you what region your IP address is registered in and where it is probably geolocated.
Verify that this location corresponds to your present location. If you’ve recently been playing games, as your IP address’s information is used to determine what kind of NAT you have.
in order to prevent IPv4 addresses from expiring. NAT’s original goal was to preserve IP addresses because there are only a finite number of them available. There aren’t enough IP addresses to go around due to the rise of internet users. ISPs utilize NAT gateways to provide an entire network, as opposed to a single device, a single IP address. For instance, your network can have a lot of connected devices (e.g., laptop, a few mobile phones, IoT devices). The situation would require even more IPs if they each had their own. ISPs instead assign a single IP address to the whole network via NAT gateways as opposed to numerous IP addresses. to mask your personal IP address.
There are a few ways to change the NAT type on a computer.
Here are a few simple methods for changing the NAT type on a PC device:
First approach: moving the port
That is the most common way to change your NAT type without doing any further actions. Verify the ports for the game you want to play as well as the router model.
- Choose the Port Forwarding option from the drop-down menu on the router’s main page.
- Put the game’s ports in the first column and your IP address in the second.
- The gadget you want to point to will be shown to you for selection. Next, select between UDP and TCP.
- To notice benefits right away, save your changes immediately and restart your computer.
Use a virtual private network as a second option (VPN)
A VPN is the best method for getting around a NAT connection since it has no data restrictions. If you use a VPN, all data transmitted via your computer is encrypted. It will help you keep your online identity safe from the physical network, and connecting to it won’t be a problem.
The main advantage of using a VPN is that it shields you from ISP throttling by preventing your internet service provider from tracking and limiting your traffic.
Procedure 3: Network Discovery
If you’re using Windows, you may use the Network Discovery options to change the NAT Type:
The actions below should be followed to enable network discovery:
- Go to the Start menu first.
- Do a search for “settings” to access it.
- The Network and Internet tab can be selected.
- from the drop-down option, pick Network and Sharing Center.
- Choose Change advanced sharing settings from the list on the left.
- Both the network discovery option and the box for the connected devices should be checked.
- Now that the settings have been saved, you may turn on network discovery for your Windows device.
Using configuration files
The following are necessary for this procedure:
- Visit the router’s configuration page.
- You should be able to find a similar option like Save or Restore settings.
- Decide whether to save configuration backups.
- Save the file when a window appears.
- Create a backup copy of the file by duplicating it once more.
- Launch the file
- Find the “last bind” next.
- In the “last bind” box, enter “bind application=CONE(UDP) port=5555-5555” (replace the port number with the ones used by your game). If you wish to open more than one port, add as many lines as necessary below the one you entered with different port numbers.
- When you return to the router setup window after saving the file, check for the option to load settings from your hard drive. then launch the file you just modified;
- Once the configuration has loaded, select Restore configuration or a comparable option to restart your router.
Using the UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) method
A group of protocols known as Universal Plug and Play (UPnP) help identify devices on your network. Furthermore, feasible is automatic port forwarding.
Before enabling UPnP, be careful to enable a static IP address. Depending on the router model, the process may differ, but often it proceeds as follows:
Use your browser to access the router’s control panel; the UPnP setting should be enabled.
Remember that using UPnP exposes you to far higher online danger. You’re more vulnerable to hackers because the majority of UPnP devices don’t have authentication processes. Moreover, it features a bug called the Call Stranger loophole that attackers might use for DDoS, enumeration, and other attacks. Make sure you have the most recent UPnP system upgrades installed to protect yourself from these threats.
Frequently Asked Questions
How does Windows 10 verify your NAT type?
- Log in to Xbox Networking at https://www.xbox.com/en-US/networking using your Microsoft account.
- Go to Test NAT type.
- Take the actions in to check the connection of your console, troubleshoot your Xbox Live connection on an Xbox 360 or verify your network settings on an Xbox One. Make a note of any mistakes you find.
- If Teredo appears to be ineligible, we advise visiting If you need assistance resolving this issue, Teredo is unable to connect or qualify.
- Check your NAT type once more once you’ve finished the troubleshooting procedures.
How can your NAT be fixed?
To get the greatest possible multiplayer gaming experience, it is a good idea to verify whether your NAT is open or not. You can use the procedures listed below to determine if your issue is related to your connection to these services or not.
- The test for the Xbox Live Connectivity Service
- From the Xbox console, check the connection by:
- Log in to the console with your Xbox Live Gamertag.
- Push the controller’s Guide button.
- Choose System Settings under Settings.
- Network Settings must be chosen.
- Choose your wireless network or your wired network if you are using an Ethernet cable to connect.
- Check Xbox Live Connectivity by selecting it. Whenever a NAT warning pops up, choose Configure Network.
If you wanted to host multiplayer PC games through Steam or a dedicated server, you would need to check the NAT type. If so, you should check that your NAT type is not set to “Strict,” since doing so may result in connection issues and packet loss.
But I do hope you found this article’s content useful and that it enabled you to find a solution to your issue. Please share your thoughts in the comment box below if you have any questions or concerns about the aforementioned tutorial. We’ll be glad to assist you. Thanks for reading.